Harry Potter Series Analysis: Books 2/6 & 3/5
Part 2 of the analysis! If you haven't finished the series then save this & read it later. SPOILERS below. If you do read the below - do you agree with my analysis? It's ok if you don't! New here? Check out my earlier post where I explain the Circular Story Arc theory.
Main Themes: Character's Desire for Love; Key Items
- Ginny: Book 2 Ginny is quiet, shy, & has an evident crush on Harry. In Book 6, Ginny is strong, outspoken, & is the apple to many a wizard's eye; HARRY ends up being the one struggling w/ his growing feelings for Ginny!
- Tom Riddle: Both books are the only times we specifically see Tom Riddle, & in both we see his desire for power/immortality. I again ask - was this misplaced desire bc he was magically incapable of love? Or misplaced due to circumstances & he always had the capability of love?
- Items: Horcuxes (first horcrux in Book 2, learn of horcruxes in Book 6); Opal Necklace, Hand of Glory, & Vanishing Cabinet from Borgin & Burkes (seen by Harry Potter in Book 2, obtained by Draco in Book 6)
- Other: Fawkes (meet in Book 2, he leaves in Book 6); Aragog the Acromantula (meet in Book 2, passes in Book 6); "Half-Blood Prince" was the original title for the Book 2
Major Themes: Marauders & Important Characters
- In Book 3 we learn of the Marauders & see their interaction w/ Snape in the Shrieking Shack. In Book 5 we see the same group's interactions as students via Snape's memories during Occlumency Class
- Book 3 Marauders are a 1st Gen "good guys clique", and later become founding members of Dumbledore's Order of the Phoenix during the First Wizarding War. In Book 5, Harry & crew create their own "Order of the Phoenix" through "Dumbledore's Army" & train to fight in the Second Wizarding War
- Harry learns the Patronus spell in Book 3 from a Founding Order of the Phoenix Member, & teaches it in Book 5 to eventual members of the 2nd Generation Order of the Phoenix
- In B3 we meet Sirius Black; & in B5 he dies
- Dementors first appear in Book 3 on the Hogwarts Express. Dementors are brought to Hogwarts in Book 5
- Professor Trelawney: We meet her in Book 3 & she is almost evicted in Book 5; makes a prophesy in Book 3 & in Book 5 we learn of her 1st prophesy